COVID-19 Guidance for
the THTI Community
In response to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and government restrictions, the Tobago Hospitality & Tourism Institute would like to advise our students that learning for all theory courses will be online. Whenever Ministry of Health’s guidelines permit face-to-face classes we continue to make appropriate special arrangements for practical classes to be conducted on campus in line with prescribed Covid-19 protocols. All enrolled THTI students are required to take the following actions:
• All students are required to activate their THTI email addresses immediately.
• All Email communication will be via your THTI email address only.
• Google Classroom is the online platform that will be used for teaching and learning. Students can view the online Tutorial on how to use the platform by clicking on the link – Google Classroom Tutorial.
• Please check your emails for notifications and important updates. Students are required to activate their Google Classroom accounts immediately.
• If you know of any colleagues that have not activated their emails, please pass this information on to them.
• If you have any questions, please contact Students Services at email@example.com
Other important matters
• You are required to pay any outstanding fees as communicated to you. Payments can be made by direct deposit to the Tobago Hospitality & Tourism Institute FCB Account number #2491691.
• Please check your emails for responses from GATE and contact Student Services if you have any questions.
We continue to do everything we can to support your learning experience during this pandemic. We ask you to cooperate with your Lecturers and other staff as they strive to provide you with necessary instructions.
Please keep abreast of all developments.
Mrs. Bernadine Thomas-McKain
Dean, Student Services
Tobago Hospitality & Tourism Institute
Communications- Important for Students
THTI Student Services WhatsApp Group
The THTI Student Services WhatsApp Group will serve as an information hub on activities and updates about the Campus and for us to keep in touch. The service will be for the sole purpose of sending you information. Only authorised campus staff would send approved messages to you within this group. Please look out for a group invite from our student services cell number - (868) 473-9776.
If you have not received an invitation to gain access to the THTI Student Services WhatsApp Group messages please contact THTI by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will NOT be able to send messages through the group chat.
If at any time you feel the need to leave the group, please contact THTI Student Services to confirm an alternative means of communication with you.
Our Promise to You!
• We promise to only send important messages – no spam, unnecessary messages, memes, jokes, etc.
• We promise to continue to respect your privacy.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Student Services Department at email@example.com
All theory classes will move online to Google Classroom:
• All students are required to access Google Classroom by activating their account immediately after receiving emailed instructions from THTI.
• Learn how to use Google Classroom, follow the guideline on how to access Google Classroom Tutorial- Click below to view:
• Any student having difficulty navigating through Google Classroom please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Online classes will take place as per the approved Timetable set for Semester 1: 2021/2022.
• It is the student’s responsibility to access the courses via Google Classroom and pay attention to the guidelines and instructions set by the lecturers of the respective courses.
• Students must continuously check their emails for an update on or invitation to the video sessions. If you have not activated your THTI Email contact 768-4781 or email@example.com
How to use Google Classroom tutorial
Submitting assignments on Google Classroom
How to join a live video chat
Google Classroom Tutorial and Student Guide
Online Learning Student Resources
Health & Safety
Employees Assistance Programme (EAP) by Families In Action
As part of our organizational health and safety support to all our staff, faculty and students, we are making the information below from our EAP provider, Families In Action, available and accessible to you. Additionally, in the coming days we will continue to augment and share the information as it becomes available to us.
• EAP 24 hours Helpline -(868-628-2333) remain open and your calls would continue to be received by the designated EAP helpline counselor.
• Designated EAP Email and Phone Support: Nigel Thomas, EAP Coordinator| Families in Action Tel: (868) 622-6952 /5365 | Fax: (868) 622-5365 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest News & Updates
- Healthcare Waste Management – Tuesday 14th April 2020
- Hand Hygiene – Thursday 16th April 2020
- Environmental Cleaning – Tuesday 21st April 2020
- Sanitation – Thursday 23rdApril 2020
Launch of ‘Record’ Feature For Video Sessions
March 24, 2020
The THTI IT department has enabled the ‘record’ feature for Google Hangouts which means that Teachers can record all of their live video content for teaching sessions. This will allow teachers to save the recording for a specific session, attach and then upload it under the respective topic under the “Classwork” tab in Google Classroom. Students can then review the presented material at their convenience. This is especially useful to accommodate students who may not be able to log-on to a real-time session. Instructions on how to use video recording has been emailed to all Faculty.
Access to Online Books and Other Content
March 22, 2020
All THTI students and teachers have been given access to EBSCO – a leading provider of online research databases, e-journals, magazine subscriptions, e-books and other content. Usernames and passwords were sent via email/WhatsaApp. EBSCO link: https://search.ebscohost.com/Login.aspx
Additional online resources are available from Google digital database of full text books and magazines at: https://books.google.com/