COVID-19 Guidance for
the THTI Community
Staff & Faculty Resources
In response to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and government restrictions, the Tobago Hospitality & Tourism Institute has instituted online teaching for all theory courses:
• Google Classroom is the online platform that will be used for teaching and learning.
• All lecturers are required to follow the instructions regarding online teaching provided by the Dean of Academics. Questions from Faculty can be sent to Academic Services at email@example.com
• Online classes will take place as per the approved Timetable set for Semester 1: 2021/2022.
• It is the student’s responsibility to access the courses via Google Classroom and pay attention to the guidelines and instructions set by the lecturers of the respective courses. All students are required to activate their THTI email addresses immediately and to check their emails for notifications and important updates.
• Students/Teachers can view the online Tutorial on how to use the platform by clicking on the link – Google Classroom Tutorial.
Faculty Teaching Resources
Blended Learning- Flipped Classroom
This video gives some great insight into using the flipped classroom approach in a blended environment (online and face-face sessions). The principles can be applied for a full online experience using video conferencing (Google Hangout) to replace the physical classroom environment.
How To Use Google Jamboard
Google Jamboard is an online tool that works in place of the white board. You can draw, sketch or input formula in real-time. Use Jamboard in your video chats, you can share your screen live or in pre-recorded video sessions in place of an actual board.
Information & Resources to Support You
Employees Assistance Programme (EAP) by Families In Action
As part of our organizational health and safety support to all our staff, faculty and students, we are making the information below from our EAP provider, Families In Action, available and accessible to you. Additionally, in the coming days we will continue to augment and share the information as it becomes available to us.
• EAP 24 hours Helpline -(868-628-2333) remain open and your calls would continue to be received by the designated EAP helpline counselor.
• Designated EAP Email and Phone Support: Nigel Thomas, EAP Coordinator|Families in Action Tel: (868) 622-6952 /5365 | Fax: (868) 622-5365 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
View Video and Pamphlets:
Latest News & Updates
- Healthcare Waste Management – Tuesday 14th April 2020
- Hand Hygiene – Thursday 16th April 2020
- Environmental Cleaning – Tuesday 21st April 2020
- Sanitation – Thursday 23rdApril 2020
Launch of ‘Record’ Feature For Video Sessions
March 24, 2020
The THTI IT department has enabled the ‘record’ feature for Google Hangouts which means that Teachers can record all of their live video content for teaching sessions. This will allow teachers to save the recording for a specific session, attach and then upload it under the respective topic under the “Classwork” tab in Google Classroom. Students can then review the presented material at their convenience. This is especially useful to accommodate students who may not be able to log-on to a real-time session. Instructions on how to use video recording has been emailed to all Faculty.
Access to Online Books and Other Content
March 22, 2020
All THTI students and teachers have been given access to EBSCO – a leading provider of online research databases, e-journals, magazine subscriptions, e-books and other content. Usernames and passwords were sent via email/WhatsaApp. EBSCO link: https://search.ebscohost.com/Login.aspx
Additional online resources are available from Google digital database of full text books and magazines at: https://books.google.com/