This Associate Degree Programme is designed for those who are interested in all the “behind the scenes” features of hospitality management. From day to day operations to special event management, this course shows you how to make each experience a memorable one for your guests. A degree in Hospitality Studies prepares students with the skills to enter the workforce in leadership roles in areas such as, hotels, resorts, cruise ships, airlines, clubs, restaurants and many more. Our Hospitality Degree blends the theory, practical and professionalism necessary for the real world.
Applicants can pursue the Associate Degree in Applied Science Hospitality Studies:
Full Time: Two (2) Years or Part Time: Three (3) Years
Each year is divided into three Semesters.
Classes are conducted Monday to Saturday depending on your courses and class schedules.
NOTE: The difference between Full Time and Part Time status is the number of credits that a student can pursue in a particular semester and NOT the time of day the classes are held. Classes are conducted according to the class schedules set for the courses.
THTI graduates of the Hospitality Studies program are qualified industry professionals. Graduates are trained to perform at international standards in all areas, from front office to sales and marketing.
Sales & Marketing
Cruise Ship Host
Internships & Pathway Programmes
Tobago Hospitality & Tourism Institute’s partnerships with several educational institutions, organizations and businesses, both locally and internationally, means students have a world of opportunities for internships and further education.
We recognize the importance of applying the skills taught in the classroom in the real world. Students will be placed in positions which best match their interests and field of study after they have completed the course work.
PATHWAYS TO FURTHER EDUCATION
Tobago Hospitality & Tourism Institute students have the opportunity to apply for academic pathways to pursue further education in undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at three local and international institutions.
INTRODUCTION TO HOSPITALITY AND TOURISM
SANITATION, SAFETY AND HYGIENE
ENGLISH AND COMMUNICATION
FOOD AND BEVERAGE SERVICE
QUALITY CUSTOMER CARE
INTRODUCTION TO ECONOMICS
FOOD AND BEVERAGE COST CONTROL
HOSPITALITY & TOURISM MARKETING
HERITAGE TOURISM (Elective)
EVENTS AND CONFERENCE MANAGEMENT
Students must be at least sixteen (16) years of age to be admitted into the Associate Degree Programme, as well as satisfy the following pre-requisites:
Caribbean Examinations Council CSEC (Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate) at General or Technical Proficiency:
- Five (5) subjects (English and Mathematics are compulsory) at Grades I, II and Ill OR
- Four (4) subjects (English and Mathematics are compulsory) at Grades I, II and Ill, and at least one (1) year’s work experience in the Hospitality Industry
Five (5) subjects (English and Mathematics are compulsory) at Grades A, B, and C OR
Four (4) subjects (English and Mathematics are compulsory) at Grades A, B, and C, and at least one (1) year’s work experience in the Hospitality Industry.
Admission to any of the PATH THTI Programme is based on satisfaction of the following pre-requisites:
Be at least sixteen (16) years of age before the date of application
Pass a basic Math & English evaluation test
Tuition & Fees
Trinidad and Tobago Nationals and Residents FULL-TIME STUDENTS
Year 1- Semester 1
Year 1- Semester 2
Year 1- Semester 3
Year 2- Semester 1
Year 2-Semester 2
No. of Credits
|TOTAL ANNUAL FEE YEAR 1||TT$ 1,300.00|
|Annual Fee Year 2||TT$ 990.00|
Trinidad and Tobago Nationals and Residents PART-TIME STUDENTS
|Year 1- Semester 1||TT$3,150|
|Year 1- Semester 2||TT$4,410|
|Year 1- Semester 3||TT$3,500|
|Year 2- Semester 1||TT$3,150|
|Year 2-Semester 2||TT$3,150|
|Year 2- Semester 3||TT$3,360|
|Year 3- Semester 1||TT$3,780|
|Year 3-Semester 2||TT$3,150|
|TOTAL ANNUAL FEE YEAR 1||TT$1,300.00|
|Annual Fee Year 2||TT$990.00|
|Annual Fee Year 3||TT$890.00|
International Students/ Non-Residents FULL-TIME STUDENTS
|Year 1- Semester 1||TT$11,500|
|Year 1- Semester 2||TT$9,400|
|Year 1- Semester 3||TT$5,500|
|Year 2- Semester 1||TT$8,250|
|Year 2-Semester 2||TT$9,400|
|TOTAL ANNUAL FEE YEAR 1||$1,300.00|
|Annual Fee Year 2||$990.00|
- The GATE Programme (Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses) provides financial assistance to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, who are pursuing approved programmes at public and private tertiary level institutions (local and regional). The GATE Programme is managed by the Funding and Grants Administration Division of the Ministry of Education (MOE).
- All the rules regarding student eligibility for GATE funding is available on the Ministry of Education’s website. All applications for GATE funding will include a mandatory means test based on household income. Failure to complete the means test will disqualify the application from being considered for GATE funding.
- To apply for GATE funding, students are advised to start the process by completing the GATE eService ID registration process via the ttconnect website. You can also visit a ttconnect Service Centre or call them toll-free at 800-TTCN(8826).
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to the GATE eService process can be accessed via GATE eService.
- With effect from August 2020, funding under the GATE Programme will be provided for only one (1) undergraduate level programme (certificate, diploma, associate degree or bachelor’s degree).
- THTI is a GATE approved institution. Currently, up to $4,500 of the total tuition fees for the 2-year Associate Degree Programme is GATE eligible. The student will have to pay the balance of the tuition fees along with all annual student administrative fees.
- THTI’s current tuition fees are being reviewed by the Ministry of Education’s GATE programme. All enrolled students will be informed if the level tuition fees eligible for GATE will change before the start of the academic year.
- All our Associate Degree Programmes are accredited by the Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT). To find out more information about accreditation status, please visit http://www.actt.org.tt/
OTHER FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAMMES
- The Tobago House of Assembly (THA) provides financial assistance for residents of Tobago who experience difficulty covering costs associated with tertiary studies through the Department of Advanced Training and Advisory Services (DATAS).
- The Financial Assistance Studies Programme (FASP) is a government initiative designed to assist students in the pursuit of a post-secondary qualification or first undergraduate qualification. The assistance is given in the form of a grant and acts as a supplementary fund to which applying does not guarantee funding.
- The Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) is available to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago under 50 years of age who have been accepted and are enrolled in a tertiary level programme within CARICOM. The loan covers expenses such as tuition, accommodation, books, etc.
- THTI Scholarship Programme: All THTI students that are genuine and passionate about pursuing studies in Culinary Arts, Tourism and Hospitality to apply are invited to apply for our scholarship programme which covers a full-time enrolled student’s annual fee and meals for the academic year.